Wednesday 30 September 2009

Want, Need, Need, Want...

We were asked to produce these 6 lists, considering exactly what we want to get out of our third and final year...

10 NEEDS from my Third year...
  1. A strong and varied portfolio
  2. Better screen printing skills
  3. Knowledge of sustainable packaging materials
  4. An internship/placement for summer 2010
  5. The ability to make quick and correct decisions
  6. Better software skills
  7. Skills in photography of work and presentations
  8. Better presentation and verbal communication skills
  9. Not to be told what I want to hear
  10. Confidence in my work and abilities
10 WANTS from my Third year...
  1. Work I am proud of
  2. A job
  3. Good advice from tutors
  4. To enjoy designing, not dread it
  5. Have fun
  6. Make the most of college resources
  7. To be able to communicate my idedas well
  8. A sense of achievement/fulfilment
  9. Make the most of being a student
  10. A first class degree

Skills I NEED...
  1. Vector and pixel based image making
  2. Knowledge of how packaging works
  3. Improved screen print skills - being efficient, choosing appropriate designs for production
  4. Quark Express (or InDesign) layout skills
  5. Confidence in speak in front of people
  6. Good analysis of existing work/research
Skills I WANT...
  1. Expression through hand-drawn type, and typography
  2. Knowledge of how packaging works
  3. Professional screen printing skills - efficient, clean
  4. Layout skills for magazine, report, and copy based design
  5. Confidence when speaking in front of people
  6. Production of nets/design for commercially viable packaging

Work I NEED to produce...
  1. Dissertation
  2. Strong hand-drawn type
  3. Sustainable packaging design
  4. Screen printed outcomes
  5. PPD - Self Pro-mo
  6. Experimentation and development for Blog
Work I WANT to produce...
  1. Packaging design
  2. Hand-drawn and digital type
  3. Strong type and layout
  4. Screen printed design
  5. PPD - Self Pro-mo
  6. Hand crafted work (sewing, print, mixed media, fabric, embellishment)
To sum up I NEED to produce work that I WANT and NEED to produce, using skills I NEED to develop and WANT to use. (I've learnt that NEED and WANT are very different!)

No comments:

Post a Comment