Wednesday 21 October 2009

Card Stock...

I have started to consider what kinds of paper stock I am going to use for the christmas cards and wrapping paper etc. Stock can be an integral part of the overall design and is really important to getting the tone of voice for a design right.

I am thinking that the cards should be printed onto some sort of heavy cartridge paper, possibly water colour, but definitely something with texture or grain in it. I think that this will add to the letterpress/woodblock design of the card, and enhance the hand made feel.

The wrapping paper could be of similar stock, probably thinner, but still using a textured/pulp paper, but I am also considering using brown paper. A couple of years ago I bought some beautiful christmas wrap that was basic brown paper with a repeat pattern of reindeer silhouettes printed on it in gold. The contrast between the 'cheap' brown paper and the expensive printed finish created a strange but beautiful design that made the paper feel really special. I think that this design worked because it wasn't too over the top with lots of metallics or glossy texture, but 2 very simple and contrasting elements. When I come to screen printing the paper I will try using brown paper, white paper and possibly some tissue paper, as well as more textured stock.

This is a digital mock up of how the brown paper might look with black and gold printing...

No comments:

Post a Comment